October 25, 2012

Golden Fish Tart


I have had the most relaxing break but I definitely missed blogging. Food blogging isn't a very rewarding hobby but it brings me loads of satisfaction just to keep posting new recipes. I know for a fact that this blog and many others has inspired many people who do not cook to start cooking and they are all enjoying it too. There are so many happy souls in many homes now. Thanks to this wonderful love of food that brings together so many people. Cooking for someone who loves to eat is the most rewarding feeling for me and therefore doesn't stop me from trying new recipes and experimenting on new flavours as long as I have people to enjoy it. I am glad I have a little toddler growing up who loves to experiment on new flavours too just like his family. It is definitely a motivation to keep cooking, keep experimenting and make anyone who enters my home a happy soul. I have been surrounded by a whole lot of people who love food and love to cook the last one month. I have been learning so many new recipes in other kitchens and loving every bit of it. 

After a wonderful guest post by Nisha Thomas of Look who is cooking too, I am back with another delish seafood dish. This dish is inspired by my cousin sister, Sareeka, who made something very similar and ever since,  this has been visiting my kitchen quite often. It is a very wholesome fish tart with flavours that marry so well with each other. Without much ado, here is the recipe to a lovely and refreshing Golden Fish Tart. 
You will need:
8 inch Short crust Tart Shell - 1 (Recipe adapted from here)
Cooked and Flaked Fish (I used Seer Fish) - 500 gms (Cook it in plain water with some ginger and chilies)
Big onion chopped - 1
Capsicum chopped - 1
Ginger chopped - 1 inch
Green Chilies chopped - 2
Cream - 2 tbsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Celery chopped - a few
Coriander Chopped - a few
Salt and Pepper - to taste
Italian Seasoning - to taste
Egg Whites - 4
Mayonnaise - 3 tbsp

For the Tart:
Flour - 200 gms
Chilled Butter cut into cubes - 100 gms
Baking Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Cold water - 3 tbsp 
To make the tart:
Mix the flour, salt and the baking powder.
Rub the butter into the flour with your finger tips or pulse it in the food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add the water until the dough is pliable and wrap it in a cling film.
Keep it in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Roll out the dough to fit the tart, cover it with a foil and fill it with baking beans.
Put it in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the tart is golden. This process is called Blind Baking. 
To make the filling:
Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the green chilies, ginger and onions until the onions are transparent.
Add the flaked cooked fish, chopped capsicum and sauté for some more time.
Add the seasoning, coriander and celery. Remove from flame.
Add the cream to bring it all together.

To make the golden topping:
Whip the egg whites until stiff.
Add the mayonnaise and fold it gently until well combined.
Add seasoning of your choice to this if required.

Assemble and Bake:
Fill the precooked tart shell with the fish filling and top it with the egg white mixture.
Bake in the pre heated oven for 15 minutes or until the top is slightly golden.
Serve hot.

6 comments:

  1. serah totally making this. and love the pics...even more the background :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really yummy Serah. Though I've never given a thought for a seafood tart, I totally believe you and your tastes and am gonna make this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Da Serah! I finally tried this with the frozen short-crust pastry. It was yummy. I liked the egg white crust on top. Definitely a keeper. Adipoli...

      Delete
  3. I liked this one.. not that I didn't the others.. this makes me want to eat NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. serah..tried this out..we loved it. The fact that i got pre made tart shell from the store and had a carton of egg whites in my freezer made it so much more easier. I just had to whip up the filling. I used cod instead of king fish (because we dont get that here) so i guess i had to compromise a wee bit on the taste, but even a fish hater like me couldnt stop eating it :)
    Love the idea of a meringue topping with mayo. do thank your cousin for the recipe. its a keeper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am soo glad you liked it Nisha :) ! Wish we cud get pre made tarts here too. makes life easy as i love tarts nd so much you cud do with it.

      Delete