July 25, 2012

Coorg Kadumbuttu

I feel like I took a really long break from blogging. Thanks to the never ending flu that everyone in my family had one after the other. I am still not completely well but that should not keep me from doing what I like to do best. It has been one mad week and not been having time for anything. My baby has been such a good boy adjusting to all the changes around him and being a social butterfly that he is. Anyways, back to the recipe that I have been wanting to post for a very long time. 

Kadumbuttu is steamed rice dumplings that is very popular in Coorg and goes very well with Pandhi Curry . My friends in Coorg tell me that it is quite often made at their lavish weddings along with an array of other wonderful mouth watering traditional food. My love for Coorg food goes way back in time when I was probably in Kindergarten. The taste still lingers in my mouth that even after several decades, it has encouraged me to cook everything I relished then.
You will need:
Fine Rice Rava (Thari as they call it in Coorg) - 250 gms
Hot Water - 750 ml
Salt - to taste
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
Ghee - to grease your palm
Wash the rice well and cook it in the hot water, salt, cardamom powder and grated coconut on low flame.
Once it is cooked, it will turn into a soft mass of dough.
Turn off the flame and keep the vessel closed for about 5 minutes.
Grease your palm with some water and ghee.
Make lemon sized balls with the hot dough.
Place the rice dumplings in a steamer and cover it with a muslin cloth.
Steam it on low for about 20 minutes and serve hot with your favourite spicy non-veg curry.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome recipe, looks so delicious n inviting too....

    ReplyDelete