May 21, 2012

Chicken Kurma

I am back in Bangalore after an awesome holiday back home in Coonoor. I am trying to settle back into reality and let the responsibilities sink in. Aaron and I miss my mother's pampering session a lot but life has to go on. I refused to step into the kitchen the past two days but today finally gathered some energy to go back in. I needed some motivation and was therefore looking for that perfect recipe that would get me recharged. I found the ideal recipe that I can use for my daily cooking and perfect with Rotis and other Indian breads - Chicken Kurma! The original recipe calls for Mutton and I am sure it will taste equally fantastic too. My usual advice - Do not get put off by the long list of ingredients. It is definitely worth trying it.



You will need:
Chicken - 1 Kg
Hot water - 1 cup
Cinnamon - 2 inch piece
Cloves - 1 tsp
Cardamom - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1/2 cup
Onions finely sliced - 1/2 Kg
Ghee - 1/2 cup
Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Ginger Paste - 2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Chili Powder - 2 tsp
Aniseed - 2 tsp
Tomatoes chopped - 1/4 kg
Beaten Yoghurt - 1 cup
Coriander leaves chopped - a handful
Green Chilies - 4
Cashew nuts soaked in some hot water - 1/4 cup
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Lime Juice - 1 tsp


Cook the medium cut chicken pieces in the hot water with Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves and salt.
Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions until they turn a golden brown. Keep aside.
Grind together Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Aniseed and the Chili Powder to a smooth paste.
Heat ghee in another pan. Fry the green chilies, ginger garlic paste and the ground masala well.
Add the chopped tomatoes and fry until the oil separates.
Add the cooked chicken with the stock and the spices, beaten yoghurt, half of the coriander leaves and the fried onions.
Reduce heat and simmer for another ten minutes.
Grind together the soaked cashew nuts and the coconut to a fine paste. Add to the chicken that has been simmering away and combine well.
Add the lime juice and extra salt if necessary.
Remove from fire. Serve hot with a garnish of Coriander leaves.

2 comments: