March 5, 2012

Coorgi Chicken Curry


I am a huge fan of Kodagu or Coorgi cuisine. Coorgis are pure non- vegetarians, as some of them like to be called. The base of traditional Coorgi gravy, whether vegetarian or non-vegetarian, is coconut with a lovely blend of spices. This chicken curry is my favourite one till date and I have made it several times. When I have guests coming home for the first time, I don’t think twice. I make this chicken curry often with Paputtu and it is a guaranteed hit. 



You will need:
  1. Chicken Medium Cut pieces - 1 Kg
  2. Coriander Seeds - 2 Tbsp
  3. Coriander leaves Chopped - a small bunch
  4. Green Chillies -  13 to 14 medium sized ones
  5. Ginger Chopped - 1 inch
  6. Garlic pods - Around 10
  7. Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
  8. Poppy Seeds or Khus Khus - 2 tsp soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
  9. Big Onions - 4 Sliced
  10. Tomato - 2 chopped
  11. Coconut Oil - 4 tbsp
  12. Lemon Juice -1 tsp
  13. Thin Coconut Milk - 1 1/2 cups
  14. Thick Coconut Milk - 1/2 cup

Make a smooth paste of ingredients 2 to 8 .
Heat oil and sauté onions till they are almost brown.
Add the ground masala and sauté till the oil separates or the raw smell goes away.
Add the chopped tomatoes and sauté till it softens.
Add the chicken pieces and roast it in the masala for 5 minutes.
Add the thin coconut milk, salt and cook till done.
Just before removing from fire, add the thick coconut milk and lemon juice.
Serve Hot with your favorite pulav or my favourite... Paputtu!

Watch this space! I will be posting the recipe for Coorgi Pandhi curry soon which is a winner every time. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been forced to make this every week... My kids and Niece love this sooo much... I recommend this curry for mothers who want to make a chicken curry fast and not spicy but very tasty

    ReplyDelete