February 14, 2012

Tibetan Steamed Beef Dumplings with Sepen dip


Here I am, with the first recipe of my blog - Tibetan Steamed Beef Dumplings with Sepen dip! When I was working in Chennai, we used to frequent this quaint little Tibetan joint near Choolaimedu. They served the best Momos (Dumplings) ever and I could never find another momo joint which matches to that taste. Fortunately, I stumbled onto this recipe and gave it a shot. Boy, am I glad I did !!!

For the outer covering:
Flour – 3 cups
Water – 3/4th cup
Salt

Make smooth dough with the above ingredients and cover it with a damp cloth while you prepare the filling. Otherwise it can get quite dry making it difficult to mould.

For the filling:
Onions chopped - 2
Fresh ginger chopped - 2 inches
Garlic chopped - 2  cloves
A bunch of cilantro chopped
Cabbage chopped - 500 gms
Raw Minced Meat (Yes,thats right. RAW!!! ) - 500 gms 
Soy Sauce - 2  tablespoons
Maggie chicken stock cubes - 2

Mix all the above ingredients and add salt if necessary
Divide the dough into small balls (smaller than lime)
Flatten it quite thin so that its thicker in the centre and thin towards the edges
Stuff with the meat and cabbage filling.
Pinch the edges and give it a twist making sure it is closed well
Steam it for 15-20 minutes on low flame until done.
Serve with the fiery Tibetan hot sauce called Sepen. Recipe below.

Tip: While steaming,oil a plantain leaf and place the dumplings on top of the greased leaf to prevent the dough from sticking at the bottom.

Sepen Dip
Red Dry Chillies- 1 cup soaked in water for at least an hour
Coriander leaves- 1/2 cup chopped
Garlic -5 to 6 pods
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Vinegar and salt-to taste

Grind the above ingredients together in a blender and serve with your yummy steamed dumplings. Enjoy!!!

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Dumplings are my all time fav:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so r mine :) !! Am waiting to try most of the chicken recipes from your blog.

      Delete
  2. Made these....came out really well and the taste was too good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow.. awesome..I love these Momos. waiting to make it again soon!

      Delete
  3. I wanted to know, Can I freeze the dough ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not very sure cos I have not frozen it! Try and lemme know too :)

      Delete