February 26, 2012

Fish Pie topped with Mashed Potato



I have been wanting to make fish pie for really long time but had no guests or occasion happening. My sister, Rebecca, calls to tell me she is coming to spend time with my son, Aaron and I immediately grabbed the opportunity to make use of the Sear fish sitting in my freezer. I had no time to look up any recipes so decided to do my own based on what I had read in a magazine a few months back. She enjoyed it as much as I did and I am very glad I tried it. Now I have another successful recipe for a dinner party in my kitty. You should definitely give this a shot the next time you are planning a dinner party.

You will need :
Seer Fish - 800 gms
Capsicum - 1 chopped
Onion - 2 chopped
Ginger - 1 inch piece grated
Milk - 600 ml
Lemon Juice - 1 1/2 tsp
Plain Flour - 50 gms
Butter - 100 gms
Salt, Pepper and Garlic powder - To Taste
Potatoes - 4 Medium boiled and peeled

Poach the fish by putting the fish in a pan with 500 ml milk, chopped onions, capsicums, grated ginger, pepper and salt. Reduce flame and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
Strain the liquid and keep it aside.
Flake the fish with a fork into large pieces. Add lemon juice to it.

Make the white sauce.
For this, melt the butter, add the flour and cook for almost a minute. Be careful not to burn it. Reduce heat and add the poaching liquid. Stir with a wire whisk till the sauce thickens.
Add the garlic powder and the flaked fish mixture. Pour into a baking dish.

Mash the potatoes with the remaining warm milk and season it with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Top the fish mixture with the mashed potatoes. I simply spooned it this time but you can also pipe it on top of the fish making it much fancier.
Bake in the preheated for 30 minutes at 180 Degrees.
Serve hot with toast.

Variations:
You can also add 4 hard boiled eggs cut into small quarters.
Or Add equal parts of peas and sweet corn kernels.
Or Add 500 gms Raw king prawns to it before baking.

3 comments:

  1. Yummm... sure will try this soon. Looks Yummy & simple to make as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr/Ms Anonymous ! Just make sure dont make the white sauce too thin or you will end up with a very loose pie. Happy Cooking

      Delete
  2. looks yum n seems really simple..gonna make this for a potluck tmrw. meanwhile im gonna go thru ur blog n salivate :)
    I went to school with Rachel in Chennai..met u a couple of times as well but im not sure if you'd remember.

    ReplyDelete