February 20, 2012

American Chopsuey

When we were children, our standard lunch outing would be to go to Shinkows in Ooty. With eager hearts and salivating mouths, we wait for the waiter who hands us the menu. "Who wants the menu? We already know what we want. I want American Chopsuey, Amma !" "Me too" and "me too"  echoes my sisters. Those were the best days. 

Then we had forgotten about it for a long time until very recently, I asked my husband, "I pity you love. You eat all those lavish feasts in your ship and here I give you really simple food. Tell me anyyyyything that you feel like eating and I will make it for you now." He replies very confidently, "Can you please learn how to make American Chopsuey? It is my favorite and the only way I like to eat noodles." My heart sank to the bottom of the ocean. American Chopsuey !!! Oops, I am in huge trouble now. I promised him I would make him anything and he asked me for American Chopsuey. Isn't it very complicated? How will I make it? All sorts of doubts and thoughts whispered inside my head. However, I was quite determined to learn it. I quickly looked up online for a recipe and Voila! I found it. I had an hour to make it before my baby Aaron woke up from his slumber. Fortunately, I had all the ingredients at home. In an hour, with my own alterations to the recipe, I did it!! I finally made my childhood favorite dish which I now know, is my husband's too. I am so glad I gathered the guts to try it out because it was just truly amazing and so easy to make. I plated it up and served it to my husband who gasped with such shock and delight at what I made. He couldn't believe what he saw and ate up the whole serving. It totally made my day. Nothing more makes a wife or a cook more happier than to see the person you cooked for, enjoy your food like its the best thing they've ever had! 

I really had to share this recipe with all. If I can make it, anyone can. Go ahead and try it! You will thank me for it.




You will need :
Chicken (boiled, shredded)- 1/4 cup 
Spring Onion (chopped) - 1/2 cup 
Carrot (chopped) - 1/4 cup 
Green Capsicum cut into squares - 1/4 cup 
Cabbage cut into squares - 1/4 cup
Black Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 1/4 tsp
Chicken stock ( I use Maggi chicken stock cubes) - 1 cup
Tomato Sauce - 4 tbsp
Soy Sauce - 1 tbsp
Green Chili Sauce - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Sugar - 1 tbsp 
1 tsp Vinegar
Corn Flour - 1½ tbsps 
Hakka noodles - ¼ lb 

For the Chopsuey Sauce: 
Heat 4 tbsp. of oil in pan and add ginger paste, spring onions, carrot, capsicum, cabbage, chilli powder and salt.
Stir fry this over high heat for a minute before adding chicken pieces. Fry another couple of minutes.
Add tomato sauce, chilli sauce, sugar, vinegar, stock and salt to taste. Bring to a boil.
In a separate cup mix corn flour with cold water, mix it well and then combine with the boiling sauce.
Keep stirring till the sauce becomes thick. Set aside while you prepare the crispy noodles.

For the Crispy Noodles:
Boil water, add noodles and salt.
Cook uncovered for couple of minutes till the noodles are soft and firm but not mushy.
Drain and wash with cold water. Add a little bit of oil to keep the noodles from sticking.
Heat plenty of oil in a deep frying pan to frying heat. Add drained noodles in circles.
Remove on a kitchen towel when crisp and golden.

To serve the Chopsuey: 
Place the crispy noodles in a serving bowl (or deep plate). 
Pour the hot Chopsuey sauce over it.
Place a fried egg on top of it and serve immediately with a sprinkling of chopped spring onions.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Sonichechy's cousin. So glad to find your blog through Ajuchachen's FB :) I tried to comment earlier but was unable to post. I guess there was some network issues . You have got lovely collection of mouthwatering recipes & I absolutely loved all your clicks too!! Welcome to the bloggers world & I'm eagerly waiting to see more of your tasty treats :) Will definitely try this yummy recipe soon. Tc :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teena! Yes i know. Ajuchach told me about it when i asked. and thanks a lot for your encoragement :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Serah... This looks absolutely yummy!!! Cant wait to try this out!!! Thanks for posting it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u Jayasudha :) !!! Lemme know how it turned out too

      Delete
  3. I am bookmarking this recipe. Will add it to my blog and link to your site as well. :) I am drooling here dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Serah... This is my final stop to American Chopsuey.. It was perfect. Couldn't get better. Appu and Mathapps devoured it and I told them that it is your recipe... ( though Mathapps doesn't remember you). But he did claim that you are a good cook.

      Delete
  4. Well I actually told him that the recipe was from the aunty who gave him the big teddy bear!

    ReplyDelete